Teach in Thanh Hoa
An interview with teacher John, who works for Apax in Thanh Hoa
What’s your favorite thing about the city?
Nice people who are always willing to help and the cost of living is very low. This is the place for anyone who wants to save a lot.
How busy is the city and how the quality of life?
It’s a very quiet during the day and lively in the evening. The city is getting modernized and westernized. The easy of getting help or things like good coffee to getting your bike fixed makes life really good. There are so many stores to cater for everyone’s shopping needs.
Where is good to eat and drink? (Top 3 places)
- Vuvuzela is on the same block as the center and is a places for beer and food after work. It’s one of the good places that are open till 22:00.
- La loca pub is open till the late. It’s a good place for a drink, playing your favorite jams, meeting and talking to foreigners and watching the locals hanging out but spending time on their phones. It’s less than a kilometer from the center.
- Highland coffee which has three or more franchises in the city, all are 5 to 10 minutes walkable distances from the center.
- Cafe 69 which is across from the building main entrance has the best smoothies and anything else you can get in a cafe.
- Gogi, my favorite korean bbq restaurant. It’s on the same building as the center.
- Gattino restaurant. Famous for chicken and bbq sauce.
- Saigon 36 serves good chicken and pork bbq and a good Singaporean restaurant on the right of Saigon 36.
Any nice cafes around? What’s the nightlife like (if applicable)?
There are so many local cafes on every street, cafe 69 is my favorite.
All good places close at 9pm or 10pm, there are not so many options except hanging out at la loca for late night drinks, or beer holes for drinks and pho.
What do you like to do and where do you go in your free time?
Traveling in and out of the city, meeting people for coffee, reading and watching movies at home or in the cinema.
Are there any places that is a must see, any major tourist attractions?
Sam son beach is so beautiful and a top tourist spot. Other beaches worthy discovering are 30 km or more outside the city.
Where is the center located in the city (e.g. near residential area, near business area, easy to get to etc.)?
The center is located in the business area of the city. It’s super easy to get to.
What is it like driving in your town / city?
The streets are not so busy even at peak hours. You still have to be careful because there’s youthfuls driving very fast to their destinations and others enjoying life without helmets.
What’s your center like?
Our center has energetic students who get so loud at break time but really nice and easy to manage in classrooms. We have happy and friendly staffs security to ECs. They are the first people who will make you feel welcomed at any time.
What’s the Vietnamese population like; do you have any Vietnamese friends, ever hang out with them or socialize?
Thanh Hoa is a small city with a population of 400,000 according to the internet. It’s so small that it’s still easy to drive even at peak hours. I have some local friends that I hang out with once in awhile for food or drinks.
Tell us anything you like about life in the small town.
Everything is so cheap so I get to save a lot. Sam son beach and FLC resort are about 16 km away from the city, I enjoy driving my motorbike for a while to my two favorite places.